The Internet offers users and companies excellent opportunities. Every day, countless websites portals and business ideas are created. Topics such as warnings, liability for content, image rights, copyrights, trademarks or data protection are very frequent. Furthermore, a great amount of established business models, such as the sale of products via Amazon, eBay and similar portal is growing, and in this legal framework particular (contractual) regulations are applied.
Basics of Internet Law
The massive use of the Internet and the steadily changing of the legal framework and the modern internet-based business models, have caused a plethora of legal pitfalls in internet law. In this way, the concerned parties, such as portal operators, web sites operators, entrepreneurs or startups, can not equally rule all the legal requirements, new judgments, or other legal frameworks. Thus, there is no “internet law” that regulates this legal framework; in reality we normally considered the “most common” basic conditions with some special regulations (f.i. Telemedia Act).
Legal Pitfalls on the following topics of Internet Law
In regards to the following topics, we are constantly working on individual cases, so that our lawyers, attorneys and patent attorneys can also estimate the probable future legal developments of the current legal situation. Furthermore, some of our attorneys are also technically well versed.
In general internet law:
- Liability for content on the Internet;
- Warnings for activities / intromission on the Internet (competition law, copyright, trademark law, patent law, design law) ;
- Warranty / product liability when purchasing online;
Internet contract law;
- Internet-compliant GTC;
- Domain-legal questions (domain name, domain registration, domain trading) ;
- International legal issues of the Internet;
- Data protection law on the Internet;
- Reputational protection (false representations, criticism) ;
- On-line-specific copyright;
- Expressions of opinion on the net, protection of personality rights;
- Provider contracts, provider liability;
- Warnings and their defense;
- Liability of forum and platform operators;
- File sharing, illegal downloading of music and movies;
- Liability for hyperlinks, search engines;
- Data protection;
- Domain disputes, right of domains;
- Online marketing (advertising and marketing contracts) ;
- Legal support for Internet service providers, web designers, media agencies, web shop operators and eBay shops;
- Child protection on the net;
- E-commerce, e-business.
Internet commercial law:
- Structuring/negotiation of internet contracts (software contracts, website creation agreements, maintenance agreements, support contracts, system contracts, licencing agreements, alternative licence models, project contracts, sales contracts, etc.) ;
- Software transfer over the internet;
- App-related contracts;
- Data protection agreements;
- Creation of the GTC (also EVB-IT) ;
- Provider contracts (access, hosting, housing, ASP) ;
- Service Level Agreements;
- Warranty rights;
- Internet contractual law.
Copyright and media, trademark and competition law:
- Open Source Software;
- Internet contents in websites, web-shops, eBay stores;
- File-sharing, P2P, downloads of music and films;
- Data bases;
- Advertising Law.
International Internet law:
- International internet law;
- International project law;
- International protection law;
- International purchase right;
- Arbitration proceedings (zB ICC) ;
- General international law.
Internet legal examination of websites:
- Cancellation policy;
- Protection of data;
- Youth protection;
- Admissibility of advertising;
Media law and press law on the Internet
- Telecommunications law;
- Internet telephony, VoIP;
- Radio / TV streaming;
- Sound / music / picture rights;
- Online press rights.
Internet-specific criminal law
- Data law;
- Competition law;
- Protection of minors;
- Violations of rights;
- Border fitting;
- Production of piracy.
Please see also IT Law